Quick Search

Tibetan singing bowl music,sound healing, remove negative energy.

528hz solfreggio music -  Attract Wealth and Abundance, Manifest Money and Increase Luck

Your forum announcement here!

Free Advertising Forums | Free Advertising Board | Post Free Ads Forum | Free Advertising Forums Directory | Best Free Advertising Methods | Advertising Forums > Other Methods of FREE Advertising > Guest Books Directory

Guest Books Directory Here is a great way to get some inbound links to your site, and message heard by people who also post and read these books. (Tip: Dont use your real email address on them)

Old 04-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
project158

Default Office 2010 Product Key TLN Teacher Voices Once a

The Tempered Radical
TeachMoore
Around the Shoulders of Giants
TLN Instructor Voices
Teacher Leadership Today
Get inside the Fracas

Becoming an excellent High School: 6 Tactics and 1 Mindset that Create a Difference
By Tim R. Westerberg
ASCD (2009)

Reviewed by Mary Tedrow, NBCT
High College English/journalism (N. Va.)
Turning into a fantastic Higher College: Six Techniques and One Perspective that Produce a Distinction is stuffed with familiar data since, as being a classroom teacher, I've been within the obtaining end of many of the innovations cited by Tim Westerberg as implies to maneuver a higher school from “good to great.”

Westerberg’s thin text (i.e., “a quick read for busy administrators”) outlines methods to change the perspective from the professionals inside the building to a we-can-do-it mindset as the professional team moves schools from okay to wowser. Westerberg leans heavily about the business management text Good to Fantastic that was making the rounds in my system in 2000. Westerberg’s text is essentially a roadmap for where to drive the building-level bus of reform, in Jim Collins' Good to Wonderful terminology.
Citing Robert Marzano as the wellspring of his ideas,Office 2010, Westerberg employs another education buzz-term, the writing standards mnemonic 6+1, to outline what a college can and should do to move a high college to greatness: Follow the six methods and couple them with a can-do perspective, the plus-one aspect with the formula.
Many of Marzano’s points are incorporated here:  Too several standards are taught. Focus on the Power Standards. Administer frequent common formative assessments to assess student learning.  Encourage collaborative work among the professionals to create standards of teaching and learning.  Define rigorous teaching to encourage a culture of success and foster the mood that “what we do here is important” to the student body at large.
What about the elephant?
There is little to argue with in this text as it sets clear guidelines for professional improvement in a building where the success of each child is paramount — also my classroom goal. I agree we need alignment from top to bottom.
The book outlines the role of administrators in this framework. Rather than just read it,Office 2007 Serial, I can imagine an administrator referring to it from time to time to check in on where and how the strategizing is going.
I’ve no beef with the content.
I do have a beef with the elephant from the room.
Westerberg gives only a nod to the need for the professionalization of teachers in his afterward, where he references the work of your Center for Teaching Quality and its 2008 TeacherSolutions report about the teachers’ role in improving the nation’s schools (Measuring what Matters: The effects of National Board Certification on advancing 21st Century teaching and learning) on page 112 of 114 pages.  He acknowledges that instructor leadership is the next step in reform.
It should be the first.
The outline for effective teaching and learning ignores two essentials that would make such a plan truly excellent: empowerment of both students and teachers through ownership of goal setting and self-evaluation and assessment, along with the time to do so.
A bulleted list on pages 57-58 outlines eight ways to find time for teachers to do the essential work of collaboration.  Several items within the list have been promised to those of us who yearn for collaboration with peers (but never considered in my working experience is bullet #1,Office 2010 Product Key, a huge insult to professionalism: eliminate duty periods). Only 1 suggestion has been acted upon in my workplace: provide substitutes so teachers can work together.
This has happened twice from the past year.
Meanwhile, directives based on Marzano have added a burden to already burdened teachers who must delay their “own work,” from the form of lesson planning and assessment, to do the work with the building.  This creates a resentment that places any improvement program at risk. 
Unwillingness to comply with change is often dealt with in large college reform books in a chapter titled “Dealing with Difficult Teachers.” (Though,Office 2010 Professional Plus, thankfully,Windows 7 Product Key, Westerberg has not included that chapter.) Yet, as each new directive comes from above, teachers are tasked with building the plane while flying it, and recently this has been occurring in shorter and shorter time frames.

It is exhausting.
Veterans get good at fending off the change-du-jour. Teachers learn to shrug, shut the door, or risk getting worked to death over every new initiative.
Great schools will be a fact of life when wonderful working conditions are standard and teachers are provided with time and resources to enact deep and lasting reform. Piling more work on already over-worked teachers continues to thwart the best intentions.

Westerberg’s plus-one perspective adjustment at the building level comes from celebrating success. But whose success is being celebrated?  No matter how noble, celebrating your goals is not the same as setting and reaching my own. Neither is it the same as the sense of pride and self-satisfaction when the self-identified work achieves measurable change.
Thus does corporate partying make cynics of us all.
Both Marzano and Westerberg would do much for the education field if they first wrote the book on acknowledging and providing space and time for teacher knowledge and growth, rather than on how to manage change in a non-conducive environment.

That would be revolutionary.

Sponsored Links