Quick Search

Tibetan singing bowl music,sound healing, remove negative energy.

528hz solfreggio music -  Attract Wealth and Abundance, Manifest Money and Increase Luck

Your forum announcement here!

Free Advertising Forums | Free Advertising Board | Post Free Ads Forum | Free Advertising Forums Directory | Best Free Advertising Methods | Advertising Forums > Other Methods of FREE Advertising > Guest Books Directory

Guest Books Directory Here is a great way to get some inbound links to your site, and message heard by people who also post and read these books. (Tip: Dont use your real email address on them)

Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
product249

Default Comments welcome

Was using a big consumer nowadays (thanks for currently being an EMC and VMware consumer!) discussing their consumer virtualization project.  They are relatively large scale with several thousand clients deployed.   It hasn’t been perfect, like a lot of client virtualization projects I see – there are bumps.

These fall into common categories:
Miss-set expectations about graphics protocol behavior over very high latency, low bandwidth links Like all customers, start with focus on storage GB efficiency ($$ per GB) and as they get going, realizing that it’s much more about IO efficiency ($$ per IO). Struggles with the hard-dollar TCO Impacts of infrastructure outages that were profound and affected their business Struggles – both technical and organizational – with the “the infrastructure is all related… it’s a system,Office 2010 Professional, not ‘clients,Microsoft Office 2010 Key, servers, networks, and storage’ and we’re organized around the silos” problem.   When they have an issue – they have a hard time pinpointing it, and determining what the end-user consumer experience REALLY is.
None of these have simple, blog-ish answers (though I think I’m going to be doing more and more on this topic) – heck, it was a 3 hour meeting.

BUT – one thing that we discussed is “what sort of IO profile would you expect for a call center?”  My comment was that without any further info (real answer, is “it depends, let’s measure”), it’ was “likely to be in the 10-12 IOps/client range”.   FYI, I typically see kiosk type apps in the 4-8 band, and knowledge workers in the 20-30 band. 

Their comment?   They see 20, and are wondering why there is 10 IOps per consumer even when no one is logged in….

In general, people underestimate the IO workload that a VDI deployment (using any of the technologies) represents at moderate to large scale.  

But, they also underestimate the positive impact of a few small things, that cost nothing to do….

There are two technical docs I want to draw people’s attention to…  These are on top of (and aligned with) VMware’s excellent documents on this topic here (XP,Office 2007 Standard Key, Win 7)…   These EMC docs cover detail on configuring Win XP and Win 7 clients for Virtual Desktop Use cases with EMC storage.   While focused on View (including data comparing customer virtualization and server virtualization workloads) similar best practices apply to Xen/VMware combinations. 

These little things make a big difference – measured minimally in the 5-10% improvement range, but in some cases much, much more (particularly true with the Win 7 case)  

As is often the case,Office 2010 Key Sale, a little bit of know how is worth more than a lot of vendor “you’ve got have feature ____”.   That know-how can save you a lot of $$ and grief.   Note that they refer to VMFS and NTFS alignment – make sure you build that into your template to save yourself pain of re-alignment later.   If you want more on alignment, Vaughn and I covered that in this VMworld 2010 session (content here).

Read them, use them.   They are very useful.  Comments welcome,Office Professional Plus 2010 Sale!!!

Sponsored Links