View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
natha87phy4

Thumbs up A master of his medium - Buy Percussion Musical Instruments Online

Home &gt; A master of his medium A master of his medium Sunday, July 24, 2011Arts &amp; Entertainment Remembering Aminul Islam I distinctly remember my introduction to the recently deceased painter Aminul Islam at his Gulbagh house in the city. the house was beautiful in its architectural patterns. his studio was spacious and people representing different sections of the society used to come over. Islam was soft-spoken, but bold and uncompromising in his stance. The late painter Nurul Islam took me to Aminul Islam's studio. A few weeks after that, I went there and came across art critic Sadeq Khan and artist Ranjit Das. Aminul Islam was working on an oil painting. We chatted till midnight and various issues came to the discussion. I interviewed Aminul Islam, which was published in the Bengali weekly Ekhon (edited by noted journalist Ataus Samad). during that interview, Islam said, ?Painters are of two kinds -- one group works with emotions and the other works with intelligence. my position is in the middle. both <a href="http://wk.putianb2b.com/"><strong>网赚教程 </strong></a> aspects are inherent in me.? Passionate and imaginative, Islam shied away from overexposure and any commercial lure. he was a workaholic and believed in noble creations. he was extremely cordial and supportive, particularly towards promising painters. he took great pride in every achievement of his students. Islam's only son's sudden death changed him overnight. he became quieter than usual and seemed to have a different outlook towards life altogether. he sold the house in Gulbagh and donated the money to a number of charities. Some of that money went into the creation of a fund for underprivileged, talented students of fine arts. Among Islam's contemporaries were Hamidur Rahman, Bazle Moula, Imdad Hossain, Khaled Chowdhury, Loknath Dhor and Ali Humayun (first batch of the Government College of Arts and Crafts -- later renamed Faculty of Fine Arts, University of Dhaka -- in 1948). the group was very committed and most of them were involved in left leaning politics. their preferred themes were nature, urban life and surrounding atmosphere. At the time, Dacca (now Dhaka) was a quiet city and it had lots of green spaces. Painters frequently visited the Buriganga river, Waiz Ghat and other scenic places for inspiration. Zainul Abedin <a href="http://wk.putianb2b.com/"><strong>广州兼职 </strong></a> particularly stressed on drawing and successfully gave Islam and his comrades an understanding of this genre of art and its various significant aspects. the students also portrayed political chaos, economic crises, city life, rural life, still life and other subjects. Some of them were greatly influenced by internationally acclaimed impressionist painters. Among his contemporaries, Islam made an immense contribution by introducing modern paintings in Bangladesh. ?Painting, for me, is the best way to knowledge, the best means to participate profoundly in the global life,? Islam used to say. On the completion of his primary education, Islam gained admission to Armanitola High School. he started copying Japanese and Chinese art in school. <a href="http://wk.putianb2b.com/"><strong>威客任务 </strong></a> he would also copy Indian painters' works. he liked cubist and semi-cubist works of Gagendranath Tagore. however, his parents did not want him to take up painting as a profession. Islam passed his matriculation in 1947. he then went to Calcutta Art College for admission. While in Calcutta (now Kolkata), he met Zainul Abedin, Quamrul Hassan and Shafiuddin Ahmed. They suggested that he avoids seeking admission in Calcutta Art College as an art college was to be established in Dhaka very soon. Islam returned to Dhaka with Zainul Abedin. however, since there was no sign of any art college being opened, he got admitted at Dacca College. The Government Institute of Art opened in 1948. Islam got admitted there and completed his BFA. then he went to Florence, Italy to pursue higher studies in art. After moving back to Dhaka, Islam's style underwent a fundamental change. he had grown primarily as a non-figurative painter since the early 1960s and started to experiment with different mediums and art forms. Besides painting, Islam also preferred drawing. In the course of his career, he developed several styles, particularly in his drawings and sketches. his figure-based works from the mid-1960s are remarkable; mainly ?Homage to Khajuraho?, an erotic drawing series focusing on the physical relationship between males and females. the series articulates the proper emotion and fantasy of human beings. the drawings appear serene and the lines have been meticulously done. Gradually <a href="http://sonkycc.com/read.php?8#topreply"><strong>Merona Ultimate Polo – White-green | Discount Coupons Code</strong></a> Islam became increasingly aware of the different qualities of lines produced by pen, pencil, brush, bamboo, discarded brush and other objects. the powerful drawings reveal his mastery over lines and superb composition skills. he also did murals in different parts of the country.

Sponsored Links