View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 07:28 AM   #1
nca2wanseysb
Private

nca2wanseysb is on a distinguished road
Default Verlander is all about winning — for the Tigers,

Follow Dave throughout spring training on Twitter — @AnswerDave — and check out the Stew on Facebook for more coverage.
Verlander, who is 28 years old, has never lacked for confidence. It's actually a problem sometimes.
"I'm not really somebody that sets goals, but I want to be one of the best — if not the best — in the game," Verlander said. "I want to be a guy who can go out there and win 18, 19, 20 games."
Understandably, the manager of the team is interested in the bottom line. So is Verlander.
Plus, he has accumulated 25.3 in WAR — ninth in the majors — since '05.
"I think what differentiates the best in the game from the rest is their ability to shorten streaks when things aren't going right," Verlander said. "And not even on a game-by-game basis, but pitch by pitch. If things get awry for an inning or two, being able to fix it [immediately] rather than a couple of starts down the road, it would be huge.
Dang, I thought we had Verlander converted to the Church of Bill James.
LAKELAND,Archie Manning Jersey, Fla. — Early in spring training, Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland declared that ace righthander Justin Verlander(notes) was on the verge of being a 20-game winner "on a consistent basis."

"I think that's one of the things I'm adjusting to," Verlander said. "If a guy hits a good pitch — fouls it off, or whatever — my overconfidence will get the better of me. I'll say, ‘OK, I'm not going to let this guy get the best of me and he's not going to hit this one.'
Leyland said Verlander has worked on his pickoff move and overall defense, which should help cut down on some runs. Verlander said there was more.

In 2010, Verlander had a 3.37 ERA with 219 strikeouts, a 1.163 WHIP and 18 victories (that's for you, Leyland!). And here are Verlander's (sheesh) victory totals: 17, 18, 11, 19 and 18. Pretty good (or pretty lucky) considering the Tigers have only cracked 90 wins once in that span.
Oh, there's that pitcher's victory statistic again. Just shave a few points off his xFIP (4.04), add some luck and more run support and maybe Verlander gets into that neighborhood Leyland was talking about.
By David Brown
"We've said that wins are slightly overrated for pitchers, but if you go out and give your team a chance throughout the season, it's going to be hard to not accumulate some wins."
Verlander is all about winning — for the Tigers, if not himself
Sounds like a compromise. But back to the guts of Leyland's point, that Verlander can still do better. It might sound like a funny thing to say, considering what Verlander has accomplished since his rookie season in 2005.
Verlander would prefer to simply "scratch and claw" his way through a start, allow as few runs as possible and hope his guys outscore the opposition.

So does Verlander check Fangraphs and elsewhere to stay up to date on his expected Fielding Independent Pitching, his WAR value or other advanced stats?
Tue Mar 08 05:01pm EST
"The game's getting a little more in-depth with sabermetrics — which you saw with Felix [Hernandez] winning the Cy Young this year," Verlander said. "People are going a lot deeper into the statistical categories than just wins, ERA and so forth."
"I think wins are not one of the most telling stats of how a season is going for a pitcher,Darren Sproles Jersey," Verlander said recently at Tigers camp. "I think even ERA is skewed on a team-by-team basis."
Wins "is definitely a team stat," Verlander said. "If there's a 20-game winner on a team, that should be something that's looked upon as a team victory.
"No, I still focus on ERA and wins [because] those are the stats that people look at a lot," Verlander said, referring to people like Leyland.
Here's the paragraph that probably has been inserted in more Verlander stories than any other:
Related: Justin Verlander, Detroit Tigers, 2011 Spring Swing, 2011 Spring Swing — DB
Verlander hopes Leyland is right, though he might word it another way.
"But that's stuff I'm learning from and I do that much less often than I used to."
The hard-throwing Verlander is the only pitcher in baseball history to toss a no-hitter, start a World Series game,Minnesota Twins Jerseys, be a Rookie of the Year and an All-Star in his first two full seasons.
"Just knowing yourself and your body helps that. That's why you reach your start reaching your pitching maturity in your late 20s, early 30s."
Whoa, is Verlander is about to go Brian Bannister(notes) and drop some sabermetrics on us?
相关的主题文章:

Video Batting Stance Guy remembers Babe Ruth - Big League Stew - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Harper's aim at Nationals camp Improve game, don't step on toes - Big League Stew - MLB Blog - Yahoo! Sports

Mark Reynolds looks for positives after career is thrown a curve - Big League St
nca2wanseysb is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links